Friday, February 22, 2008

the grammys, theirs and mine again

It's that time of the year again, when they release their list of the grammys and I b**ch about it coz I don't agree with their choices. And when they sc*** up, man they SC*** UP! What the hell's a jazz album doing winning album of the year?!?! Do that many people even know about the genre, let alone fans of it! Anyways, that's where our rift starts. If you ask me Kanye deserved that award this year. He's been side stepped long enough. I know that, and I don't even like hip hop [I do like him though]. And what the **** is all this fixation with Amy Winehouse? I mean, sure, she resurrected an almost-dead British singing style, and she sings from personal experience songs that have meaning. But surely! Grammy's propel someone to the international stage. One gets name recognition after winning a grammy, so Im thinking its about time the person behind the songs became a judging factor in deciding who wins and who doesn't. Coz really, do we want our kids to grow up and become like Amy Winehouse? Shooting up on crack to escape from all the terrible pain and sadness associated with her superstar lifestyle of wealth and fame -:) ? Apparently once one goes down that road there's usually no coming back. Just ask Britney, and Whitney [ok, Mary J Blige was a bit of a one-time occurrence, so don't ask her].

Anyways, my list [in the categories I give two ****s about]: [BTW, unlike last year, this year I had a lot to do, so I spent considerably less time listening to music, so there are gonna be some categories where I haven't even listened any of the albums, like best new artist]

Album of the year
Kanye West - Graduation [but if Daughtry had been nominated they'd have been my choice]

Record of the year
Beyonce - Irreplacable (most likely song from their list of nominations)

Song of the year
Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats (hands down!)

Best new artist
Amy Winehouse [she's the only one whose album I've listened to so]

Best female pop vocal performance
Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry [...and I don't understand how this song lost]

Best male pop vocal performance
agree with them - Justin T

Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals
Plain White T's - Hey there Delilah

Best Pop Vocal Album
again agree with them - Amy Winehouse

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
[haven't heard anything here - odd right, considering I live for rock]

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals
Daughtry - It's Not Over [they were even 2007's best-selling artists, I mean, Hallooo!]

Best Hard Rock Performance
agree - Foo Fighters [they're the only ones I even like so, although I would have wanted Linkin Park to be nominated and to win]

Best Rock Song
Daughtry - It's Not Over [see above]

Best Rock Album
Daughtry - Daughtry [though Wilco was also pretty good, as were the Foo Fighters]

*********** After now there aren't very many categs I give a damn about*********
Best Female R&B Vocal Performance
agree - Alicia Keys

Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
[don't care, not a fan]

Best R&B Song
again, agree with Alicia Keys

Best Rap Solo Performance
agree with Kanye West

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
agree with Rihanna and Jay-Z [that song was off the hook!]

Best Rap Album
again Kanye West [remember I wanted it to win Album of the Year]

Maybe this year I should try and stay abreast with developments so Im not floating this time next year. But then again, I am getting pretty old for this stuff. Who knows? Maybe by then I'll have caught up with my age.

END

1 comments:

jenny said...

Yes, Grammy award winner Rihanna did deserve to win for best rap/song collaboration with Jay Z. Im sure she will be singing her hit songs at her upcoming "Girl's Night Out" concert brought to you by Moon Sparkle. This new Escada fragrance smells magnificent and can be found in stores like Macy's, Sephora, and Dillard's. Along with it comes a free music download and Rihanna's new CD. For more information log on to http://www.escada-fragrances.com You must go out and get this fragrance. It's worth it! Does anyone plan on buying it on payday?