Sunday, September 13, 2009

echoes, silence, patience & grace

Day three of yet another power cut. Darkness all over, silence, nothing to do, no one to talk to. Just me and the music. Exactly how I'm used to it being. Do you believe in fate, and destiny? How much of our future can we control? Do you ever wonder how long it takes to change your life, what measure of time is sufficient to be life-altering? Two weeks? A month? An hour? The entire lifetime?

I discovered a building the other day, called Liaison House. I'm gonna remember that name, because there's a company there that I have now added to the other place I'd kill to work in. A friend of mine apparently works there, so that's how I found out things about it: the way they start you off at six times my salary, the kinds of people you get to meet, the exposure to cutting edge technology, travelling all over, no bosses breathing down your neck as long as you deliver, autonomy, open-ended corporate culture, and most of all, the name. You tell people you're from Hewlett-Packard and they shut up and pay attention - you're someone they probably wanna listen to.

I fear, though, that this might turn out to be one of those dreams that sometimes feel really distant, because if a company has only 23 employees, all high-flyers, then you need to be pretty exemplary to get in, right? That can't possibly be for ordinary menfolk like myself, can it? Then there's those other times when I think, why not people like me? What makes them better? "People like me..." What does that even mean anyway? Human nature says when we're apprehensive like that we need someone to stand behind us, and tell us they'll be there to catch us when we fall. A still small voice that tells us we can do it, that we're more than capable. We're made that way, I guess, and that must be why [soccer] teams playing at home rarely lose - coz there's all these people cheering them on and making them feel like they're superman.

The butterfly effect is a concept from chaos theory that goes something like small variations in the initial conditions in a dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system [I know, I didn't get any of that either! :)] Basially, a butterfly flaps it's wings in China and through a cascade of chain reactions, the little breeze it created keeps getting stronger till at the other end of the Atlantic a tornado results. Life seems to be all interconnected that way, where no action exists in a vacuum. And so you gotta believe that everything you do here matters, that someday you'll land on something better, something found beyond the quiet persistence of a dream. And that later on, in the grand scheme of things, when you're looking back you'll know: it turned out the way it did because you took the chance when you did.

Companionship. Life often comes rushing at us from out of the darkness. Suddenly. When it does, is there someone in your life you're gonna be able to count on, lean on? Someone who will watch over you when you stumble and fall? And in that moment, give you the strength to face your fears alone?

END

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very thought-provoking...I would love to think that i'd have someone cheering me on...by the way i would also love to work at HP...and yes we can! our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, it's that we are powerful beyond measure...

csmith23 said...

really, u2? well, how about that! anyway, thx for the big-ups. me i'm keeping the dream alive [and reading friday nation starting next year...]

you ever read through the whole our greatest fear? i think it's in a league all it's own!