Thursday, October 26, 2006

house hopping

Here I come again with another one of those tales about parastatal inefficiencies in my country. As with the last time, this was in my uni. Since I'm doing professional exams in a month's time and I have no clue what the course is about, I decided this time that when we close for long hols I wouldn't go home and would instead stay on in school to at least keep the mood going. This way, even if I myself dont per se read anything, maybe some of what my industrious friends read will rub off on me and I won't be totally green, thought I.

The groups that are currently in session are actually fewer than the school was made to handle, so it would appear that we are actually running at below capacity. So si I thought I would just show up, say I want a room, get charged to heaven and back but get the room anyhow. Boy was I wrong! I did show up, I did say I wanted a room, I did get charged to heaven and back [this government, all incompetencies aside, has never been known to shy away from a chance to make a quick buck, which quick buck is of course never ploughed back into bettering the infrastructure - but that is another story for another day], but did I get the room? Of course not. "Why allocate people rooms that are still empty just because those people have applied and paid for the rooms?" thinks our administration. "It would be so much more fun if they were made to sweat for a week or two, so here's what we're gonna do: we're gonna tell that boy to come tomorrow, and to write an essay explaining how he thinks loud music in matatus affects the current status of greenhouse gases." [or some such other tosh, anything to make sure nothing happens on time like it's supposed to.]

And so here I am. In between residences. I have survived thus far by visiting different friends and/or relatives in a round so that none of them feels as though I am infringing, meanwhile conducting research on my upcoming essay on presentation of which I expect I shall be given a room that shall just happen to not have a door, so I can give them another week to repair it and bring it up to standards. I am well aware that this is what I shall be told when I raise a complaint, "You see kijana, this system of ours - [they recently got computerised] - once it has allocated you a room it's impossible to change that allocation for another without it appearing as though you have two rooms. So please just allow us to refurbish this one for you. We apologise for inconveniences" with a smiling face. And so I find myself in the run-up to exams, yet again, house hopping and not spending any considerable amount of time studying for them. This one looks like it'll have to be on me and God. But, He has seen me through before, and He never changes so...

END

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe they're making you write an essay for a room....

Stay up tho.