Thursday, February 22, 2007

the grammys, theirs and mine

So I recently got the entire Grammy 07 list, and I have to say, Im unjazzed. Not a single song I thought would win won. Not one, out of like sixty (OK, maybe one or two). What are the chances? (Gotta thank Providence Im not into betting and wagers, otherwise Id be selling my sould black market right about now - to cover my debt :) ) Anyways, Im seriously beginning to question the credibility of this so-called "Academy", because I do not see a world where James Blunt gets beaten out by the Dixie Chicks. I mean, how many people even listen to country outside Texas and Nebraska and Kentucky?!?!? Granted, the Dixie Chicks are good - even I like them, and that album of theirs is currently in the works, should have it in a week so's I can see what all the fuss is about - but when two artistes are both really good, methinks the winner should be the more mainstream one. Im guessing that's how U2 manage to win every time they put out an album, coz they always get really stiff compe. And I still can't for the life of me figure out in what universe a song by Bon Jovi would be ranked under country. How?!??!

Now Im thinking, if I was the who's who at that "Academy", what would my grammys look like? (Just the crucial categories - I discovered they have like a thousand different ones!):

Record of the Year
You're Beautiful - James Blunt - from Back to Bedlam

Album of the Year
(Here I wasnt crazy about any of their nominations, but since it's all up to me in my world...) How to save a life - The Fray

Song of the Year
(Again, none of their nominations jazzed) The hardest part - Coldplay - from X & Y

Best New Artist
James Blunt

Best Female Pop/Vocal Performance
(Here, I like their choice of artiste, but not the song) Hurt - Christina Aguilera - from Back to Basics

Best Male Pop/Vocal Performance
Bad day - Daniel Powter - from Daniel Powter

Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group
Stickwitu - Pussycat Dolls - from PCD

Best Pop Vocal Album
Back to Bedlam - James Blunt

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group
How to save a life - The Fray

Best Rock Song
Chasing cars - Snow Patrol - from Eyes Open

Best Rock Album
How to save a life - The Fray

Best Female R&B Vocal Performace
(I like their choice) Be without you - Mary J. Blige - from The Breakthrough

Best R&B Song
(Again, good choice by them) Be without you - Mary J. Blige

Best R&B Album
Testimony vol 1, Life & Relationships - India Arie

The rest of the categs don't really matter much to me, except New Age where Amarantine won. I totally agree with them - Enya is just good. Not really big on rap, hip-hop, classical, male R&B, country, and the gospel artists I listen to aren't particularly mainstream so I can't speak with authority in that field. Clearly me and the "Academy" disagree A LOT (I have indicated in brackets where we agree), so I'll stick to good ol' Dees. At least his countdown and I seem to have closer preferences.

END

0 comments: