Friday, February 09, 2007

invictus

This is the title of a poem I recently came across. Now, I've once said here that I love to read poetry, but not by authors I've never heard of before and definitely not by Shakespeare. However, I got a chance to hear this one before I read it, so I did make an exception even though Id never heard of William Henley before [he's the author]. I totally dig it. It's so deep. Here's how it goes:

Out of the night that covers me
Black as the Pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the shadow of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll;
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ok, if that's not deep stuff then I don't know what is. Plus it was inspired - William Henley survived a TB infection and an amputation. And the title is latin for unconquered.

New on the music scene, another form of art Im in love with, and definitely going down my annals of all-time bests:

Lie in the sound - Tresspassers William
Sideways - Citizen Cope
Easier to lie - Aqualung
Boston - Augustana
Born to try - Delta Goodrem
Chasing cars - Snow Patrol
Swingset chain - Loquat
Who's to say - Vanessa Carlton

END

0 comments: