Tuesday, April 18, 2006

the easter that was

So last weekend was a long one, Easter Sunday and Good Friday when we celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection not necessarily in that order. Naturally, since I work in a factory, we were expected to go to work because "essential production operations dont stop over holidays" [Memo from the Head of Human Resources]. Now for the permanent employees this usually has monetary implications - if they work over holidays they are paid double the rate, but for us casuals, it's biz as usual. So we staged a ka-small revolution and got sent off. At the time I was thinking that I was gonna be busy, hmmmm, si was I in for a rude shock!

The beginning of my woes was five days before actually, my grandmother falling sick - she developed an eye infection and became allergic to light. Then the doctor gave her medication that you apply every five hours, not morning and evening or after every meal like we are used to, every five hours. So she had come to stay over.

Then there was supposed to be a trip to Mombasa by my dad's workplace for which my mum was being smuggled in. So they were to meet in Eldoret [where he works] and head from there, and I was gonna drive her over then [hopefully] remain with the car and a full tank - all alone. So freedom and mobility . Si I set up plans to go to a certain campsite with some buddes for Eldie. Everything is going according to schedule.

Then comes Thursday. The trip to Mombasa gets cancelled. So Im stuck in Mumias with both parents. But luckily, they decide since they have time on their hands to go shaggs and plant maize, this being the planting season and all. Strike one. They decide to carry the mboch with them. Strike two. On such trips [the ones where the intent is not leisure] it has become a foregone conclusion that I am not expected to attend. So Im remaining at home alone, not Eld as Id have liked but still alone. Strike three. Boy was I wrong!

So anyways, the long and short of it is that, since my paroz were now going shaggs they went with the cars so I was left bila, my ailing grandmother was left in my care because "no one is going to have time there to medicate her", my friends went and had fun anyway, I dint get to eat a lot of junk [usually associated with me being alone hence the cook] since I was cooking for me and her [she's diabetic], I couldnt leave the house to go anywhere in case an emergency arose with her health [aside from the above two conditions she's also asthmatic] so I was holed up in the house all easter watching the clock for the next five hour block, bored and now my salary is going to come short of expectations coz of the two days we refused to go work [Fri and Mon] - us casuals are daily rated. The things we sacrifice in the name of love... If only I had had a good excuse like Im needed at work all weekend, things would have been so much better. But I've learnt that the water-pot usually breaks just when you are at the doorstep. Now Im living every day as it comes.
END

0 comments: