Saturday, April 01, 2006

why 24, I wonder

Ever since I got that new job, time management has been a downward spiral, and I keep sinking deeper and deeper every day. Isnt it wierd how when you have a whole day to spare with nothing to do you will actually spend it doing nothing coz nothing of interest will come up [am I saying too many "nothing"s? they really should invent a synonym for that word :)], and then when now you have like 20 minutes only to spare there will arise so many events that you wanted to attend but cant - coz between my boss, the Grim Reaper and CPA 23 hours are already accounted for - ? That's the spiral Im talking about. This company I work at is just out of this world: We report to work at seven. SEVEN! and work all the way till 5. It's a holiday camp for hourly rated employees, coz they work a whole of ten hours if they work over lunch hence higher salaries, but a nightmare for the rest. I remember the way I used to have issues waking up at six in high school [despite that then we'd been made to believe that exam success depended on it - the whole "early to bed and early to rise..." thing] and now it's all come back to haunt me, only in school we used to have holidays to look forward to, now there's no such thing. It's just work and work and work.

I have heard about places in the poles where there is sunshine almost all day, so Im sure there even though the earth still goes one complete cycle every 24 hours, the illusion is created of longer days than ours. I used to think that was hell on earth, but now, Id give my right arm to be in a place like that. But, since Im not, I find myself yet again having to give the movies a miss because an "emergency operation" [you'd think this was the CIA :)] has arisen at work and we are required there all Saturday and maybe even Sunday. Yes they're gonna pay us but doesnt Maslow, or Fayol or whoever - those Management theorists - say that past a certain point with people money stops being the only thing that matters? Now that was a bright person, methinks


END

1 comments:

Sebastian said...

Hi,
I just stumbled upon your blog to ask you to check CatchMyBlog as a site to promote your blog. It's something different for promotions, but you'll catch the idea of how it can be of high value for any blog that is REALLY interesting and jam packed with useful content. Thanks for listening and your time to read this comment.