Wednesday, April 12, 2006

machine heaven, for a while

Today I am working on a machine and a half. It's a Dell no less, those Optiplex GX520's - absolutely top of the range: 3.0GHz with hyperthreading, 512MB RAM, a 224MB graphics card[!] and optical mouse. I tell you this machine moves. It responds even before you give the commands! Ok Im just kidding about that one, but it's every gamer's dream machine and mine too. Too bad it's at the office [you didnt think I meant we'd bought one, did you? Those things cost like a gazillion shillings - ok, 80K but that's still too high for a comp. I dont see us buying one any time soon. At home I have to make do with a clone. A nice one, but still a clone] Oh, did I forget to say the machine is silent? You absolutely cant hear a thing spin in there, I mean the talkback on cellphones is louder than this machine is! Clones of course sound like small tractors when they're running so maybe it's the stark difference between the two that's clouding my judgement. :) Anyways, those people who say nothing's perfect, they havent seen this machine.

I should probably also note that Im on stolen time and it's is in my boss' boss' boss' [you know tall organisation structures, this company has a tall organisation structure - coz believe it or not he also has bosses, like four!] office so if I get caught in here heads are gonna roll. Well, mine mostly. So maybe in the interests of self preservation I should just head back to those dilapidated IBM NetVistas people my level are given [BTW Im just here on a temporary basis, this is not like what I do for a living or anything. When I finally launch myself into the job market I want to hit the ground running]. After turning it on I usually go make phone calls coz people have actually grown old in the past waiting for those machines to boot. If you notice the words coming slower, or not at all, from this point on it'll be coz of the change of machines :(
E..N....D

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to have such a comp, mine was runnin 256ram with an nvidia graphics card of 200mhz nvidia graphics card of 128 ram.. manze ebu skia it was a clone i had assembled, yeah it was definately sounding like more like a tractor... that was back in April. it had cost me like 40k plus a 17inch monitor

then i moved to statoe and got myself a pressario compaq laptop, 1gb ram, 200mhz, 128mb ATI.. yaani!! its sucks this guys dont have a bloomberg where i can just go and get 'nfs, most wanted' for 200sok. wish i had it 4 months ago.

bigups man.. intersting blog, keep up the good work