Monday, April 10, 2006

road trip, or something like it

So jana my mum and I both abandoned work in favor of a road trip that's been long overdue [had a DL for like two years now, and nothing all that time]. Ok, maybe it wasnt so much a road trip as a trip to shaggz, but still, it involved driving long distances and stopping at shopping centers to buy stuff. [again I overstate - we stopped at just one after which it started raining and biz people closed for the day]. So si we fika Kitale. From then on the road to our shaggz is usually a rough road, the kind people sometimes call mud roads. Now this one was a mud road today. Proper, coz of the rain. There was drama! Si the car skidded. It danced. From this side of the road to the other [it's front-wheel]. Battling with mud. Not knowing which water puddles are actually deeper than they look. For a stretch of like 20 minutes. It was a harrowing experience, even for me. Or as I like to put them, experiences that separate the boys from the men :) And that's not all. Coz we were in the middle of a work week, we had to go back home that same day. Couldnt sleep over. We had left home at 2PM and it's a two and a half-hour drive one way. So you can just guess, on our way back it was muddy and deserted and dark. We actually got stuck once, and revved about for like 10 mins I thot we were never gonna get out of there. But being the driver I am [do I say] I skillfully manuevered us out, applying techniques well honed over the times [playing Need for Speed, Gran Turismo and Colin McRae. Ha ha. See? My addiction to games finally paid off!] So anyway, the trip. After that fiasco we actually had to stop at a river [remember we're at shaggz] to clean the car because when a white car becomes twelve shades of brown, people in town just dont understand where we're coming from. That took another twenty minutes.

So now, the moment we hit tarmack it was no-holds-barred. My mum figured none of us [meaning me] had been driving long enough to be able to drive at night. So it's 6.30, we are 30KM past Webuye headed to Mumias. At least one and a half hours, the journey should take. Was I allowed to speed! Now that's just how I like it. Overtaking 18-wheelers back-to-back[the road from Webuye to Bungoma is the one they call the Great North Road, evenings is when trailers to and from Mombasa abound on it aplenty], gliding down valleys, I even tried to race a Range[!] but I have since learned to pick my battles - ours was a Corolla so do I really need to say how that went...

All in all it was a nice way to spend an afternoon that would otherwise have been spent working. Enjoyed meself thoroughly. Plus I got to prove a friend of mine's theory of relativity of speed between VX's, Ranges and other cars: No matter how fast or slow you're moving, when those two cars overtake you it'll be as though you were stationary.
END

0 comments: