Monday, March 27, 2006

first day

So finally I got a casual job, not the kind I wanted but a job anyhow [gotta thank Providence in everything, dont we?] My first day at work, and how did I spend it? Shovelling old invoice books that were being moved "to a new and safer location" for "easier record keeping and reference." Yeah right! These are books that hardly even had pages inside them, they were for 2003 and before [the carbon copies that are supposed to remain at source when an invoice is sent out]. They were so old the pages were white [you know the ones that are usually pink - like the bank deposit slips at, you guessed it, banks ], and we are being told to "handle them carefully" because "they will be needed at a later date." And to make matters worse, there was the equivalent of two truckloads of them, it was just endless. We were only praying we do not catch asthma or anything else [you know how quickly dust accumulates on top of fridges and doorframes? Now imagine three uninterrupted years worth of it!] All this does not come into perspective until one knows what my job is: I was hired to be a clerk. Can you believe that?!!? My contract letter actually cites "Clerical duties" under my job description! OK, so maybe in my employers' defence I was working with books, only Id kinda thought Id be writing in them, not shovelling them around, you know??!?!?! Makes one wanna @#(*&(*&(@#!>. Anyways, hopefully tomorrow and in the days to follow there shall be actual writing involved and less of the menial labor, otherwise I run the risk of actually building up some muscles :)
END

0 comments: