Thursday, March 16, 2006

A long, long week

START After my classic weekend at that rocking uni, I decided to go visit an uncle of mine who stays on the other side of town. It had been a while since Id been there so I thot it would be a pleasing exprerience, but I am fast learning to never underestimate fate: no matter how syched up and happy you are, fate will always find a way to get you down. So in my case there was no power. And when I say no power I dont mean for 20mins or even three hours, I mean for FIVE days, two of them in the weekend. Ati sijui wires were cut, the transformer was missing a thingamajic or other and crap like that. And then there's Kenya Power[KPLC]. These people are just in a league of their own. They are very efficient, unlike parastatals in Kenya, or so they like to think of themselves. For all those five days we had no power, in the spirit of efficiency and quick response, they would come early in the morning [very early, at around 11.30 :) ] - and proceed to sit around their van and study the cabling talking among themselves. At around 8.00PM they would head, after a long, hard day's work, and the routine would repeat itself the next day. You know us people were just there wondering, what happened to all the actual engineers who used to work at KPLC? and is the strategy here gonna be to sit the catastrophe out ama are we actually going to see some work being done? I even ended up missing Scrubs! and it was a continuation from last week :( Anyways, all's well that ends well, I guess, and it seems their sitting and studying strategy does work, [albeit not as fast as some others like actually fixing the problem] because we now have power. It's been a long wait, but after the first two days you're pretty much used to it I daresay. So we're celebrating, alongside the rain like the rest of the country, the return of power. ENDIT

3 comments:

Milonare said...

Hi Bat Rox

Picked your site off KBW.

Pole bout the rationing/irratationing...

What amazes me about Kenya Power is how quick they are to disconnect for non-payment. If there is one area they are efficient, ndiyo hiyo!!!

Pole a jamaa...

Milonare said...

Oops *irritationing - tihihi

ZIWANI said...

The offical name of KPLC should be kenya paraffin and lamps company. Bilazz.