Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sweet guys finish last

START There are two different types of guys, methinks, the type that's cocky, arrogant, and often annoyingly good-looking, and miraculously, this is the type that always seems to get the girl, no matter how badly they treat her. Then there's Guys Like Me. Guys Like Me are polite, considerate blokes who possess a fundamental respect and high regard for women - characteristics often summed up by that one word: 'Sweet'. Which makes us about as sexy as stamp collectors. 'Sweet' in this regard isnt really a compliment. "You're so sweet" translates into "I dont want to have s*x with you". Take it form me, when it comes to pulling, us Sweet Guys really do finish last.

By sweet, I dont mean out and out losers. Sweet guys can actually be good-looking, sporty and sociable, but they're just not like the alpha-male studs who go around believing that any woman who wont sleep with them is either insane or a lesbian. These guys are overconfident, do not fear rejection and will hit on any woman they find attractive.

Unfortunately, us Sweet Guys wont subscribe to this philosophy. We fear rejection too much. Naturally this means we soon grow accustomed to disappointments.

Thankfully, it seems the tables are finally turining in our favour. After years of having been sandkicked in our faces in the game of love, it seems Sweet Guys are now in demand. Today, the blockbuster heroes are more likely to be complex, anguished types like Tobey Maguire (Spiderman), or Jake Gyllenhaal (The day after tomorrow). Witness too the success of sensitive male TV characters like Ross (Friends) and Yuen(Off-center). And then of course there's the story of Chris Martin, lead singer for Coldplay who once quipped about his succes with women "I've been turned down more times than a stereo", and yet ended up marrying a Hollywood beauty in the shape of Gwyneth Paltrow. There is, after all, light at the end of the tunnel for Us, and that makes me happy. ENDIT

4 comments:

Milonare said...

LOLOLOL

The tides are turning? Hehehehe

Ngoja you're told "ooooh - that's sooo sweet... Let's just be friends" LOLOL

I have it on good authority that ladies favor "rough on the outside, smooth on the inside"

I have been sand-papering my clothes and kwarusaring my skin!!!

Elle said...

hi,
bumped into your blog, read thru your archives ... very nice, dare-I-say "sweet" articles :)

Bee said...

I think the best combination for me is Sweet AND goodlooking.. thats the alpha male the only problem is that once I get him he will be sweet, goodlooking AND attached and that makes him a magnetic pull for all single women

Crazy Me said...

I LOVED your post. Turns out I used to go for cocky arrogant etc. and I just met a sweet boy. I'm not about to go back anytime soon no matter how this turns out. My friend is in the same position now. Maybe your post is true but I'm glad to tell you that, like Hollywood, the lady are getting wiser.